Roman’s Green Facts and Information
Roman is committed to caring for the environment and as a reflection of this commitment became fully accredited with ISO14001 certification in 2009. In 2018 Roman has been upgraded to the prestigious and rigorous ISO14001:2015.
Roman has three core environmental objectives:
- Reduce energy consumed as a direct proportion of business activity.
- Increase the proportion of recycled waste.
- Reduce and if possible eliminate any harmful emissions, discharges or pollutants generated by the business activity.
All waste is segregated into recyclables and non-recyclables. In order to minimise what would normally be sent to landfill and we endeavour to recycle anything that possibly can be.
- Wooden pallets are collected each week and recycled for a variety of uses.
- Our waste glass is sent to be recycled along with other raw materials and formed into new glass packaging such as wine bottles & sauce jars. (Roman recycles 158 tonnes annually)
- Aluminium is collected and taken to a treatment plant, where it is sorted and cleaned ready for reprocessing. (Roman recycles 72 tonnes annually)
- Our cardboard is recycled and is usually made into new boxes and other packaging but can also be turned into new products such as office paper, newspapers, books and magazines. (Roman recycles 216 tonnes of paper and cardboard annually)
- All brochures and marketing material are created on paper sourced from sustainable forests (FSC)
Due to our proactive approach, 93% of all waste is recycled – landfill has been reduced to 7% of total waste generated.
- All vehicles are Euro 6 compliant with our car fleet having average CO2 emissions of 114 kg/km.
- Overall Roman have reduced the CO2 emissions from business activity by 30% since 2009.
- All company drivers have completed Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving (SAFED) to help them become fuel efficient drivers
Roman has developed a glass protection system, Ultra Care, which is designed to build up a barrier to protect bathroom surfaces from the build-up of grime, limescale and stains. It acts as a gentle cleaner maintaining a protective barrier – meaning water glides off the glass with ease so you can eliminate the use of harsh chemicals in the bathroom.
The Circular Economy may be about to drive the biggest transformation in business since the Industrial Revolution 250 years ago.
Historically major world economies have traded under a linear economy strategy. Political thinking is now driving Industries to trade under a circular economy strategy. In December 2015, the European Commission supported by National Governments including the UK, approved a new strategy and action plan for Circular Economy.
A desire for a Green Economy that will see the introduction of new Industries, providing secondary raw materials, job creation and the manufacturing base moving to incorporating efficiency measures at the design stage, are key components to meet the needs of an ever expanding population, rising standards of living and ensuring the availability of resource for future generations.
Roman is currently working with all suppliers to maximise the use of recycled materials.
Recycling Your Product
As an ISO14001 Registered Company, Roman takes recycling very seriously at all levels. All cardboard is already manufactured from recycled paper, but our packaging itself is designed for recycling. Please ensure that the cardboard packaging is taken to a local cardboard recycling point or to a local recycling depot.
End of Life (EOL)
EOF recycling is taken into account from the initial design stages to ensure all aspects of the Roman products can be recycled for future use. The Aluminium, Brass Alloys, Glass (and Solid Surface Material with Roman Stone Trays) can be easily recycled at your local Licensed Recycling Centre (LRC). If you are unable to access an LRC, then Roman can arrange to coordinate a pick-up of your product for a modest transport charge.
Our Environment Manager is happy to provide any further environment data required, please see contact details below:
Phone: +44 (0) 1325 311318